The most amazing breakfast casserole recipe to is about to come out of your oven!! A breakfast bake blend of rustic bread, eggs, italian sausage, gouda cheese, escarole greens, and wild mushrooms make this dish spectacular. A MUST try! This is great for the holiday seasons or even to mix up with any fresh greens and veggies of the season.
- Pre heat the oven to 400°.
- Brown sausage on medium/high heat. Drain and remove from pan. Set aside.
- Using the same pan on medium heat place 3 tablespoons of butter and sauté shallots, garlic, rosemary, and mushrooms. Add sausage. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the cubed bread.
- Add the sausage and mushroom mixture as well as the escarole, and cubed gouda cheese.
- Butter your baking dish. Then pour mixture in. Add sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- We like to pull a few pieces of the bread to the surface and add a few extra pieces of gouda to create a yummy crusty and cheesy top.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- 8 ounces of ground spicy italian sausage
- 4 cups of rustic bread largely cubed
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 large shallot sliced
- 2 cups of wild mushrooms roughly chopped
- 3 cups of roughly torn escarole greens
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 6 ounces of gouda cheese cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped